Old February 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Default Elevation gain?

On Feb 26, 9:29 am, Derick Fay wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:10 pm, Camilo wrote:

On Feb 25, 2:31 pm, wrote:

On Feb 24, 11:16 pm, Camilo wrote:

Just got a new toy: Garmin Forerunner 305. I went on one of my
favorite skis and came up with the following data.

Distance: 25.5.km
Total ascent: 885 m (2,900 ft?)

Of course total descent was the same since it was a loop.

How does this compare to routes you guys ski on? Would you consider
this a tough 25 K, average or what?

Just curious, since I've never measured this before.

My average HR was 73% of max (measured max, not calculated). This ski
was fairly typical of what I call my LSD, but I often think I'm going
a little too hard.

I just did the American Birkebeiner classic (52K) on Saturday and
according to my Suunto T6 we climbed 2680 feet. It has the most
elevation of any race or course that I ever do. Your route has more
elevation in half the distance. My HR was 87% of max.

I'm a very average, although experienced, skier and I'd say your route
was very tough- Hide quoted text -

Interesting.... and a good excuse why I'm so slow!

Not to burst your bubble but I've got elevation gains of 1000s of feet
while using the 305 on a bike on a trainer and 100s of feet while
doing 800m intervals on a track. I like the device (had it for 9 mos
or so) but I've found it to be really inaccurate for elevation. You
can use the elevation correction function at motionbased.com for a
more accurate reading, or maybe if you're somewhere with very clear
skies you'll get better results.

You probably have burst my bubble, but that motionbased site is
interesting. I'm going to sign on and try it later. I'll report back
more accurate findings!