Old October 30th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Sandi M.

Default Solitude - good deal when backcountry skiing?

The "off-piste/backcountry skiing" was more a language question. I'm no
native english speaker, so I was just wondering.

We all have the right equipment (and we know how to use them) and we've
done regular trips in the Alps, both backcountry and for convenience
off-piste in some resorts.
But I know that meteorological conditions are very different in the Alps
and the Wasatch. Even if being an expert for the Alps (I don't wanna claim
being that, but at least I have some experiences), it doesn't mean you're
one for the Wasatch (probably similar for Canadian Rockies and Wasatch for
example).
But as you seem to know what you're talking about: How is it with avalanche
formation especially there? I guess, as the snow is less dense and more
powdery, that you won't find the typical layering (with more slippery
layers in between) as in the Alps as sublimation, due to less humidity,
prevails. And the temperatures are higher as well. But just my guess. What
are your experiences concerning the main dangers (compared to other locations)?

Thanks for the critics, you're absolutely right!
Sandi

Backcountry means just that. You generally don't buy lift tickets if
you are doing backcountry skiing. You hike to where you want to go.
If Solitude lets you buy single ride tickets you could use those to
access the backcountry. There are usually gates at many of the ski
areas where you can access the backcountry. However, if you are
planning on doing this, you better know what you are doing and from the
sound of your post, it doesn't sound like you do.

Remember, in the backcountry, you are responsible for your own rescue
which can get very expensive if search and rescue needs to be called
in. You will need proper equipment including shovels, avi trancievers
and probe poles at a minimum. Plus the knowledge of how to use them,
how to read the terrain and how to choose a proper route. If you don't
have this equipment and knowledge then don't go into the backcountry.
If you haven't had an avalanche awareness course and some training on
how to use an avi trancever then you should stick to inbounds skiing.