Old January 26th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

Default lifting toes/wax pocket

On Jan 24, 10:11*pm, "Brian Pauley" wrote:

*I find that I get better glide, when I lift my toes (or press my
heels). *If I press my toes down, I hit the brakes. *Is this normal,

This is normal and probably has little to do w/ how your wax zone is
marked, although I do agree that the pocket needs to be fine tuned for
different conditions. The body action folks are describing,
especially when double poling, is what you should be striving for -
hips up and high and elbows thrust forward at the start will likely
bring you up onto your toes. Your poling action begins w/ an
abdominal crunch motion and finishes w/ your arms. As you are doing
this, the weight transfer on your feet is from your toes to your heels
and you should feel the skis "shoot" forward because you have lifted
the entire wax pocket off the snow.

Begin that whole action again either as a DP or as a DP-Kick, continue
for thousands of cycles and you win a 25K race!

- Bob