Old March 15th 05, 01:44 PM
Dean

Bryan wrote:
And why do boarders sit down in the middle of runs?

There are two questions: Why do they sit? Why do they sit in the middle
of runs?

After great consideration I've concluded that the answer is: Because
they can and standing still on a board is very difficult. Sitting with
skis probably isn't realistic which is why some skiers stand in the
middle of runs.

If you want to know why they sit in the middle of runs to socialize
rather than sitting on a side, that's probably because they are young
and aren't thinking. I don't see older boarders sitting in the middle of
runs. We go to the edge to sit and sooth our aching legs and wobbly
knees or to admire the view. I've had to tell kids at the top of hills,
"Guys, I have nowhere to go except over you to get down the hill." They
move. I say, "Thank you." Their parents aren't there to instruct them,
and a group of 13 year olds aren't going to make the greatest decisions
by themselves.

This winter I was going down a local expert hill. Unlike most of the
kids, I was not sideslipping down the hill. A group of young teens was
sitting in the middle. One looked back and saw me coming right at him.
There was plenty of time and room for me to go around, which is what I
did, but his eyes got wide and he quickly shuffled to one side.

Another time a young skier decided to stop and turn sideways. I had just
started a turn that would have taken me over her skis after she turned,
and I could not turn in a different direction quickly enough. Eleven
inches of new snow was on the ground, so I just dropped on my butt and
came to a soft and immediate stop to avoid a collision.

Another time three teen girl skiers two chairs in front of my chair got
off. One fell. One stood by and watched right in the exit path while the
other tried to help the fallen girl up. The one helping threw her poles
down in the only place left to exit the chair. I barely missed running
over the poles. I told her to move them and she could not comprehend
why. I told her they were blocking the exit and her response was, "But
I'm helping my friend get up." She never considered placing the poles
behind her so they'd be out of the way.

The common element is "young" and "inexperienced". Vans pull into the
resorts, kids get out, and the vans leave. The ski patrol is not a
substitute for parental supervision and training.

Dean