Old December 6th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dr. Noisewater

Default Who makes bindings these days?

I am 6' 3" 220lbs, so big guy, with big feet. I would say I'm probably
after a good all-terrain binding. Mostly resort powder riding. I'm
never in the the pipe, and only occasionaly ride any parks. The only
specialized riding I do is occasional backcountry trips, and even then
it isn't terribly extreme.

Thanks for the help!

lonerider wrote:
Dr. Noisewater wrote:
Hey cats, I broke a binding today. I'm not too sad, they are some
Burton Customs from like 1998! Anyway never really had any gripes with
the customs, but I am completely out of touch with what is good as far
as gear goes anymore. Suggestions?

What type of riding do you do? Cruising around the mountain or more
park/pipe oriented? How much do you weigh? What is your price range?

Nideckers (800 Pro, 900) are the best heavy duty carving binding in my
opinion, they have a great vibration/chatter reducing layer under the
base that also gives you a little bit of riser (good if you feet are a
little big).

Salomon bindings are almost as beefy as the Nideckers... although I'm
been told the recent Relay bindings are too flexy (by people whoi
really like stiff bindings).

Higher end Burtons (Mission, Cartel, P1 HD/Carbon, C14/C60) are good
but you pay a lot for them.

Rides makes some solid aluminum baseplate bindings (Migs, EX?) for a
good price.

Bent Metal is darkhorse (made by Mervin, which produces Gnu as well). I
want to check them out next.

If you can answer the questions above I can narrow down my suggestions.