Old July 19th 03, 08:00 PM
Sam

Default Colorado or Banff? In December-January

"RR" wrote in message ...
Hey Serena... trying to make pretty much the same decision here... I'm
presuming you mean New Zulland NZ and not some American state that this dumb
Aussie don't know about?

Either way, I'll be watching for responses... in this hyperactive group.

I was weighing up Colorado/Whistler... Always thought the US would be over
the top on price.. but apparently not.

Here's hoping for some response. Just a tip... a mate of mine (Financial
Planner) was suggesting I buy some $US now whilst $Aus is looking good
(unsure about $NZ)... just in case things downturn between now and Pow Pow
time! Could save you an extra 10% or so... hedging!

I live in Colorado, so I can comment on that... First of all if you
decide to get a season pass for Breck (the Buddy Pass), do it before
the US summer is over. The price goes way up after somewhere around
October. The buddy pass allows unlimited access to Breck (very cool,
huge place), A-basin (also very nice but small w/ mostly difficult
alpine terrain), and Keystone (mostly skiers and lameness, not as good
as the previous two). One other thing, you must get the pass in
person the first time. After that you can renew it online.

The snow conditions vary greatly here around then (well, I guess
always) so it's hard to say. If you come around the end of December,
it's likely that most terrain will be open w/ a fairly decent base.
January it typically one of the driest months though, so it can get
fairly hard/icy around then. The really good snow comes February -
April.

Also keep in mind that we've been having a drought in Colorado. Last
year's season (2002-2003) was really good for snowfall (like record
breaking nice), but the year before that (2001-2002) was terrible
(record breaking bad!). We may be coming out of the drought, so
hopefully this year will be nice as well. I've heard the Dillon
hostels are fairly nice w/ bus service to the resorts. Our dollar is
pretty weak right now, so should be a pretty good deal for you guys.
If you have any other questions let me know! I'd be happy to show you
the good spots if you make it out here.

Sam