Old January 4th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Bindings Advice Sought

Espressopithecus wrote:
The last time I skied, I caught an edge, my bindings didn't release, and
tore a knee cartilage. I can't recall these bindings (Salmon S850 with ~
15 days of use) releasing -- ever -- except in "yard sale" falls. After
several years off skis, my knee has healed to the point that I'm ready
to try skiing again, but I don't want to fzck my knee completely, and
wonder what I should do to make sure my bindings will release safely.

When the bindings were set up, the ski shop asked me for weight, height
and skiing ability, and set the bindings at "7". Given that they never
released, I wonder if they should be set up lighter? And how do I make
sure they're set low enough that I don't reinjure my knee, but don't
release in normal skiing?

Finally, over the years I've heard many people condemn Salomons for
being unforgiving. Is that an old wives tale, or are there safer
bindings I should consider (whether newer Salomons or other make)?

Everybody has their prejudices. On the test bench they all are very similar.

What you are up against is that bindings are designed to protect against
lower leg fracture, the primary injury of early skiing. (Remember all
the cartoons, broken leg in cast around apres ski fireplace or bar?)
They don't protect against knee injuries nearly as well (some statistics
suggest modern bindings move lower leg injuries up to the knee.

The VERMONT Ski Safety folks at http://www.vermontskisafety.com/ have
done extensive research on knee injury prevention, and their advice when
followed has been demonstrated statistically to reduce knee injuries.
Look around their site, in particular at their Knee-Friendly Advice at
http://www.vermontskisafety.com/faq_skiers/faq_skiers_tips.html