Old March 9th 06, 08:56 AM

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:35:23 +0100, Ulrich Hausmann
wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 07.03.2006, 12:30 +0000 schrieb Champ:
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:59:31 +0100, Ulrich Hausmann
wrote:

No, we have, but not so much. One of the plateau glaciers is just in
front of me (15 km distant in direct line): Plateau du Trient (just as
an example: http://www.christianengl.de/Trient1.jpg )

Ooh, I've snowboarded off that.

That's good! :-)

It was :-)

And, to annoy the purists - I got a heli ride up there :-)

Just to add - the heli ride dropped us on the edge of the plateau. We
still had a hike of between 1 and 2 hours to get to the route that we
used. The guide told us that heli access to that Plateau was
restricted, with only one drop point. I should also add that while we
were up there a small single engine plan landed on the plateau!

That's less good. Not because i'm a purist but because i'm seriously
convinced that's the wrong way in a that much frequented zone like the
Alps.

Have a look at this (esp. 5.2):
http://www.mountainwilderness.ch/fil.../mb_doc_FR.pdf

My French is only jutt good enough to make sense of that. I'm
agnostic about whether heli access within the alps is good or bad.
While it's allowed, I'll use it.
--
Champ