Old February 15th 04, 01:59 AM
Jiyang Chen

Default My Ski Experience

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
She kept trying to teach me the
wedge, but I couldnt get it right.
Anyway, I didnt get down to the bottom until 10:15...took my 30
minutes!

In my opinion, the wedge method is a bad teaching method and results in bad
habits. If you need to go slower, just push your tails out and scrape some
snow (slowing down), which as you have discovered, is like a hockey stop,
most of the weight on the foot closest to the bottom of the slope. When you
want to turn to the other side, IMMEDIATELY change weights from the downhill
boot to the uphill boot and tilt your knee to the center of the turn. W/out
this early weight change, the wedge will appear.

Yes, turning is this simple. I have no idea why people teach the stupid
wedge. If the reason for doing so is slowing down, then why don't they
teach the pushing the tails out part? It is simple and is easier than
thinking to "pivot", which is the same. When you're on the turning leg
(downhill), simply apply pressure with the heel and you slow down.