Old October 2nd 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

Default back on the snow

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:03:31 GMT, jw
allegedly wrote:

Jeez, just checked the rest of the posts. Traffic has certainly
lightened up a bit here, eh??? I leave for a while and this place goes
to pot!!! ;-)

As Champ says, it's partly down to the season and this group being
primarily subsribed to by North Americans and Europeans.

However, the advent of cheesy web-based forums has for some reason meant
a migration of people. For the masses, the ability to pimp up your
avatar, include graphical signatures and graphical smileys means much
more than the pure speed afforded by usenet and killfiles from suitable
clients.

Plus, really, where's snowboarding going? The large technological
innovations of the 90s are complete, and now stuff's just being refined
to eek out that extra 0.001%. The rest is just marketing. With that,
there just doesn't seem to be the same breadth of topics to talk about.
We haven't even had a wacky concept to deride and laugh at for a while.

Come winter, we'll get the "is this board good for me" posts, which
can't be answered in the FAQ, and only get a discussion if a couple of
the regulars have tried it. Many posts go unanswered, not because we're
rude, but because the number of people reading has dropped, and out of
those, no-one's ridden the board being queried.

For me, I'm set with my gear, and haven't bothered trying a different
board for almost 2 seasons now. The last one being a Fish which I
borrowed off a mate for an hour. Hardly an exhaustive test though.

That's probably the most I've posted in ages!

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/