Old November 7th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

Default Going off trail

Terje Mathisen wrote
Afaik all the fastest traverses of the "Haute Route" has been done with
nordic touring skis.

Interesting claim. Never heard it before. I assume you mean some route
between like Argentiere and Zermatt. How about some details and support?

Given the history of this thread, I guess I'd better ask, What's a "nordic
touring ski"? Is it NNN BC?

What would you guess is the fastest time on "nordic touring skis" from
Zermatt to Verbier?

it is at least halfway possible to ski flat areas on the telemark skis.

Sounds like you do not understand the Scarpa F1 boot -- which is
understandable, because it's a really amazing concept.

It's easier to tour flat on Scarpa F1s than on lots of telemark boots. The
Scarpa F1 basically _is_ a light telemark boot -- without the stupid
duckbill on the toe. Instead it has some little hardware thingees that make
it ingeniously compatible with an Alpine Touring binding which is lighter
than most telemark bindings.

"telemark skis"?
If there's some point being made about the suitability of the _ski_ to
gentle terrain, I will point out that there's no reason why grip wax or
klister cannot be applied to the base of a light Alpine Touring ski. And no
reason why "kicker skins" cannot be put on Alpine Touring skis.

Ken