Old November 7th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

Default Going off trail

Peter Clinch wrote
My only specific gear suggestion for boot/binding was NNN BC

Peter Clinch wrote earlier, in the post which I replied to
light tele gear

Sorry looks like I misunderstood. I didn't know that NNN BC was a form of
"telemark" gear.

So now it looks like Peter was claiming that there are lots of places in the
European Alps with interesting ungroomed touring that is suited for NNN BC.
I do not agree with that claim.

I think rather that most places in the Alps that would have been suitable
for such NNN BC touring already normally have a groomed track.

Of course you could choose to ski a few meters off to the side of the track
just to feel the ungroomed snow. Or further off into some field nearby. I do
that sort of thing all the time on my SNS bindings. Why would I want some
incompatible SNS BC or NNN BC binding just for that? If I use an SNS
binding, then I already own boots I can use with it. Anyway in that
situation the NNN BC binding is not getting me into some different area I
couldn't reach with my track skis, just a slight variation within the same
area -- a variation that _could_ have reached on my SNS binding with a
little more careful maneuvering.

Yes there are pretty places in the world (e.g. Canada?) with gentle terrain
with gentle access -- but no groomed track access, and no "hiking trail"
track customarily set by other skiers.

I'm only doubting that there's many places like that near Lausanne. I'm
simply saying that if you want to purchase some new gear to take you to lots
of interesting + pretty places you couldn't get access to by a groomed
track, then around Lausanne the best bet is Alpine Touring / Randonnee.

Ken