Old March 5th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default volkl kendo vs stockli Stormrider 88

lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/4/16 9:33 AM, downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
You are correct; All big time car race drivers got their start on what
is essentially the kiddie go-cart track.

Agreeing with idiots only takes you to their level.

Not being hostile. Pointing out that everybody starts somewhere. You
don't even move right into dirt track racing without experience. Cart is
a common starting point, as is dirt bike.

Our mutually argumentative co-poster is wrong to disparage NASTAR thus.

NASTAR isn't as popular here in the west as it appears to be in the
east; I don't believe I've ever seen a NASTAR course. (Maybe at Bend
long ago.) I don't know why. Daily I see training courses with coaching
set for everyone from 5 year olds to Masters and elites, but no NASTAR.
Decades past coin-op timed courses were commonly set for civilians but
not NASTARized.

There was a big uproar this years when USSA bought NASTAR and decided to
build there own software not using the original developer. The software
did not work so no one could get timing. Then race the gates released a
version that worked and NASTAR sites started to drop.
USSA bought the race the gates developers and now the software is back
to normal.
Out east there is still some NASTAR but a lot less than there was. Mt
Snow had it and used to run Masters races also. They dropped both so we
sold the on site property we had. They are now more interested in the
park and pimping thing with half pipes.
Bellayre had NASTAR but somebody died on the NASTAR course and they
dropped it the next season.
Alot of the adult leagues use the NASTAR scoring and record keeping and
they run longer courses some do not offer public NASTAR.
We will see if the joining of NASTAR and USSA is a good thing or a fork
in the back.
But much like formula car racing ski racing has too much competition
from other options that did not exist 30 years ago and there seems to be
less interest in both..