Old February 4th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Peter H.

Default Improving longer distance?

On Feb 4, 5:24 pm, "Gary Jacobson" wrote:
"Ed Miller" wrote in message

I do fairly well in shorter races but when I get much over an hour I
fatigue, (esp legs) and my technique suffers,

Can't do much this year except to ski at low heart rates for 2 to 3 times
the length of you race distance.

It may, as Gary said, be getting the right training. But if you're
talking
about 3 or 4 hour races, it's not so easy to train double or triple
the length. Two little things in the races themselves which I have
needed to learn the hard way, and which have made a noticeable
difference
(however mediocre my results are!) :

(i) Start at the pace you can maintain for the duration, not way
faster, as
it's easy to be tempted into;

(ii) Get some replacement calories into yourself in enough quantity
during
the race---when it's over 2.5 hours, liquid stuff (Gatorade, etc.) is
not
adequate for me; the gels are, esp. that Hammergel stuff. You can suck
that down from a small flask they provide. I tie one onto an old bib
ribbon with
duct tape, and hang it around my neck and under the bib. When it's
cold, make it
about 25% liquid so it's not too thick to drain out easily.

Best, Peter