Old February 2nd 13, 04:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

Default Wet Snow

On 1/30/2013 8:05 PM, Neil wrote:
I would tend to agree with you, fish scales or noisy and slow. and I
have had the experience of them balling up in wet soft snow. However,
I'm sure you always get the wax right but I don't but I tend to ski with
companions who use fish scales. It is difficult to ask them to stop all
the time while you fiddle with your waxes. By the way what are rock skis?

Swix liquid F4 goes a long way to stopping the fish scales from
gathering clumps. I solved the "getting the grip wax right" problem by
using Start Grip Tape (self adjusting to temperature -4F to ~30F (and
maybe higher)).

"gr" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 1/26/2013 5:31 PM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Neil wrote:
fish scales?

No, no!

Fish scales were the original attempt to make "waxless" skis, they have
never worked and I still cringe when I hear a tourist coming (very
slowly!) down the tracks in -5C or colder, with that
"DRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..." sound.

Terje

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Neil wrote:
Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are
the recommendations for wax, both red and blue that include 32f/0c ball
up. It seems to leave only glide wax any suggestions.

You're pretty much describing the conditions "Zero" skis were made for,
i.e. with a rubbed central area and no grip wax.

Terje

If you use fishscale skis a lot as rock skis (5 years or more) the noise

decreases dramatically, the glide improves and

the grip becomes poor........ not really a bad tradeoff!