Old January 22nd 05, 08:40 PM
lal_truckee

ant wrote:

But what if I was your mother, trying out skiing? Tell her to change what
she does? Or isn't she allowed to go skiing? Especially if she doesn't ski
fast enough.

My boy's mother (AKA my wife) was popped in the back by a boarder who
thought it was cool to jump off every berm, even ones at the lift base
where everybody is waiting in line. Patrol pulled his ticket. After
awhile, when it seemed the mother/wife was OK, I talked with my buddies
and had them give the wuss his ticket back, with a lecture.

Two things; the mother/wife developed a bad back by morning - lasted
several days - and I doubt the lecture did any good. Happens again, I
don't interceed to return the SOB's ticket.

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

I don't have to wear a reflective vest. I wear red. I'm pretty visible. I'm
quite solid. I'm there. Most snowboarders who hit me knew I was there. After
they hit me, they do regret it. Not all females are good things to hit.

As others have said, women do seem to get hit disproportionately. If I have
time to raise my ski pole at them, they don't hit me. Isn't that weird?

I believe the resorts are short sighted, allowing boarding at all. You
think any of these doofusses will be dedicated boarders when they're 40,
50, even 60? I bet a way lower percentage remain active than skiers
remain active. If there were no boarding allowed, a fair percentage of
current boarders would be skiers; I don't know if the curves cross, but
my feeling is long term the resorts would have more patrons, not fewer.