Old September 12th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
chuck

Default Buying the right board

On 2006-09-12, tg wrote:

Decisions....decisions? I'm sorta afraid of a *wide* model board at my
10-11 boot size and my weight. Now I wonder if the 165 would be wide
enough without going to a wide model. My Custom is a 162, so I don't
think I'd notice too much difference. I would think the weight would be
close. I just want to go wide enough without going too wide. Floatation
isn't and issue...not with 99% of my riding in the midwest. I'm really
leaning towards a Donek.

I know you said that you don't like paying for marketing, etc.. but you
might also want to look at the Burton Triumph. I am riding the 160 with a
254 waist width and a 8.05 m sidecut. I have a 10.5 boot size and don't get
any drag. It is a mid wide and has a decent set back of 25 if you want it. I
ride it on crud/soft/ice in the midwest and get good edge hold as well as
take it out west for a mix. A good all purpose board. Now for powder...... I
have a Fish for when the going really gets fun!

If the boards are similair in quality and price, I'd rather give my
money to a "mom & pop" company. The heck with Wal-Marts; give me the
family corner store (I'm showing my age) anyday. I also emailed Sean at
Donek and he replied the same day asking more questions to help me pick
the right board.

That being said, I've liked my past 3 Customs. Actually 4 Customs,
Burton gave me a new warranty board after I rode one a whole year due to
a peeling topsheet.

Being in business for myself, bidding against companies selling cheap
Chinese/imported goods with American brand names on them, I know try to
buy goods that are made in the USA from manufacterers that support their
local economies. This excludes autos where Ford/GM make cheap disposable
crap and conitinually ship jobs to Mexico.