Old September 11th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Default Buying the right board

chuck wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The more I've looked into it, I'm thinking the
Donek Pheonix may be an option too. I really want a board that that can
be ridden switch almost the same as regular. That being said, I had no
problems switch on my Customs and sometimes felt better toeside switch
on it. I'm not sure a twin tip is really needed and I'm not sure about
the flex of the twin. Also, even though I ride alot of switch, I can't
get used to a duck foot stance and ride at +18/+6 angles. I guess what
I'm really looking for is an all around board that leans towards the
freeride end of the spectrum. What I don't want is spending my money on
graphics and marketing.

I agree the Donek Phoenix 163W is probably a better option to the Twin
161 - it is a little bit stiffer though as the Twin is ultra-soft for
jibbing. Nearly any freeride board will carve switch just fine so long
as you setup back isn't drastic. There is also no need to ride
duck-footed for switch riding - it makes it easier to learn and do, but
if you know hot to ride switch, you can ride it with any angles (I
repeat - *any* angles). You should search Google groups for Phoenix and
there is someone else about your height and weight with a Phoenix (in
addition to me).

If you search my posts, you will also see my current favorite
all-around board is the Madd Twin 158. Talk about a board company that
definitely zero money on graphics (they are pretty infamous for their
lack of thought in their graphics) and and zero money on marketing
(word of mouth marketing and a really crappy website). But, man can
their boards rip. The Twin Tip 158 is a really, really nice board -
www.maddmikes.com (email Joe Franklin and he will give you lots of
info). The Madd will absorb a lot more vibrations and bumps than the
Donek at the cost for a bit loss of "feel" for the snow that some
people like. Edgehold is excellent, maybe better than the Doneks, but I
felt like the response was more progressive, where as the Doneks have a
very quick response once you get it up on edge.

Again that's just my personal opinion. I sold my Phoenix to my friend
because I didn't like the 8m sidecut (I prefer a longer sidecut), if I
were to do it again I would have gotten the 160 with the 8.5m sidecut
and I think I would have been happier. Still I also like the ride of
the Madds - very, very damp, incredibly edgehold on firm/icy slopes
(mellower edge transition than the Doneks), light swing weight in the
trees (Phoenix also has very good swing weight as it is incredibly
light), really fast race base (really nice to have for jumps), great on
jumps, rails, pipe (as is the Phoenix).