Old November 7th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default what kind of board should i get? ;)

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"jw" wrote in message
ps.com...

Anyone else stoked to snowboard? ;-)

I just picked up a $99 used Burton Canyon, hopefully to replace my previous
$20
K2 Fatbob. I loved the Fatbob for pow and crud, and even on packed runs as
long
as they weren't too icy. I'm hopeful the Canyon will have more pop for
manuevers, and handle icy conditions better. It is also longer (162) than the
Fatbob (155). My previous Ride Profile was probably a better board than the
fatbob, but I was constantly booting out on hard carves. I'm really looking
forward to trying out the Canyon.

Sounds nice! That's a great deal on the Canyon, assuming it's in good
shape, which it probably is or you wouldn't have bought it. And twenty
bucks for a Fatbob? Sheesh, where the heck to you find these things?

Fifteen or whatever years ago (just for context), I started out riding
boards that were mostly in the 155 - 158 range. (I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. --
could do the metric conversion, but not enough time right now...suffice
to say, I'm a little guy. ) I moved up in length to a Burton
SuperModel 162 about ten years ago, then bought another 158 (Original
Sin team - used). Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet. It is super responsive, stable in
hard pack and powder, carves beautifully, very fast, and I can get some
good air time off the rollers, or table tops in park, etc. Wouldn't want
to try to spin the thing though, and I'm not that type of rider anyway.
I've sold most of the other boards -- had four at a time once -- but
kept an old A.deck 155, in very good condition for its age, to loan to
learning friends, brother, etc. I've probably covered some of this
before, but want to talk snowboards, so....

Here's a picture of the old A.deck when it was a lot newer (second one
down):

http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/~...otos/snow.html

Ahh! The life of a budget rider.

I know, I'm usually on a tight budget too. Snowboarding and skiing will
do that to you, unless you're a pro. Is there still time for a geezer
like me to turn pro? haha.

Less than a month to the first scheduled instructor clinics. I probably won't
get up before that even if the area opens, as I won't get my pass before
then.

Snow in Maine yesterday (Sugarloaf got some from about a third of the
way up, on up to the summit), and I think Killington, VT also got a
little natural and has started to blow the guns. Others have as well,
I'm sure.

-jw