Old February 19th 06, 02:25 PM

Randy writes:

Randy An important, or NOT so important factor to this equation is that
Randy muscle, whether lean or bulk, weighs more than fat. This happens to me

Muscle is denser --- a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle

Randy when off-season, I lift weights. The theory is for MOST endeavors the
Randy added strength translates into more power, and of course, in the base
Randy metabolism rate muscles burns far more calories than fat does.
Randy I probably added to the confusion with the above.
Randy Come to think of it, I'M confused now.

The added muscle must be specific to the activity to be useful in that
activity. Chest, arm and back muscle does not help a long distance runner
or biker.

Randy wrote:
Hi,
At the end of November when I put my bike in the garage for the
winter
I weighed 93kg. I have been skiing about 8-12 hours per week (50/50
classic-skate) and which is at least 3-4 hours more on average than I
did on the bike. I also think my skiing is more intense than the bike
riding was (at least during the fall). I haven't changed my diet in any
way. My weight is now 103kg. I notice that certain parts of my quads
are much larger now, and my triceps too, and I suspect other places
too. Fat is hard to judge, but I think it is pretty constant.
Is it common for skiing to encourage the development of bulk
muscles? I
for some reason always assumed it would be slimming like running. I
certainly didn't expect to gain 10kg in 3 months! It dosen't bother me,
I am just curious about the development.
Joseph

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)