Old February 19th 06, 01:23 PM

BeeCharmer wrote:
FWIW, I have the same thing happen each year when I begin rollerskiing.
Cycling basically neglects most of the muscles above the waste and I
go from 210 to 220-225 each season (I'm 6-6"). I'm wondering how much
of the gain is from increased bone density; there's been some recent
research on increased bone density from weight-bearing exercise, but I
haven't seen anything about how much weight that would be. I do feel
more buff now than in August...

chris

See you at the Birkie?

I too am certainly more buff than in August if the attentions of my
wife is anything to go by!

It's good to hear that significant weight gain from the transfer from
biking to skiing is not strange. Perhaps this year my 20+ pounds are a
bit extreme and next year it will be closer to your 10-15 if some of my
upper body development sticks around through the next cycling season.

I've heard things about bone density from cycling, but I always assumed
that was a long term thing, not seasonal.

No Birkie for me, but I'm signed up for my first Birkebeinerrennet
March 18! They closed registration at 11,000 participants, but there
are still start numbers available for foreigners, come join the fun!

Joseph