Old November 23rd 03, 08:07 PM
John Skewes

Default Mounting Salomon Bindings - thanks

Thanks for the advice on un-mounting and re-mounting Salomon Pilot
bindings.
I used two tools that helped me. The first was a "flush cutting" back
saw, used to get under the ridge plate and cut off the rivet plug
without damaging either binding or the old ski.
The second was a "self centering hinge bit" ($4.00 at Home Depot).
This allows you to use the counter sunk holes in the binding plate to
accurately drill your holes. Center punching works fairly well but you
always get some drift when you drill your holes and I hate to use a
hammer on new skis. I used a piece of ¼" plywood to make a jig. I cut
it about 8" long and sawed it to the width of the binding plate,
drilled my holes, counter sunk them and then gently clamped the jig in
place on the ski. With the centering bit back in the drill I drilled
the holes right where I wanted them.
This article was also a big help;
http://www.sierranordic.com/tech_tip_seven.html .
Thanks again for your help.