Old July 29th 05, 02:53 AM
Jack Nixon

Howlee wrote:

maybe a dumb questions but....

when does the ski season begin in Colorado and in Tahoe?

As soon as enough snow falls, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow
to open a trail. Once, a long time ago, Berthoud pass opened on Labor Day.

when is there usually a good/decent base?

As soon as it snow enough, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow.
Did I day that before?

should one wait at least a month after it opens to go?

Personally, I want immediate gratification and will often go skiing before it
opens.

I usually go in Late Jan to Early March so there is usually plenty of snow-
I have always been lucky to actually have good conditions- powder, sunny,
etc.... I am thinking about going earlier this year, however, I do not want
to be dodging rocks.

Sun can shine any time, especially in Colorado, and waiting for powder can be a
long time off skis. And besides, the freshest powder skiing is on days when the
sun ain't shining, you know, on the days it's dumping snow. If the slopes are
rocky, borrow skis from someone, preferably someone you don't like.

Jack--dormant in July.