Old March 2nd 06, 05:30 PM

delltodd wrote:

I had a far less rough race, but still not my most fun one. The story
is on fasterskier.com for whatever it's worth. I think Jay T got me, he
split the FrontRunner & myself. Seems like Jay Wenner had a real solid
race, into the Top 100 was it ? Good job Jay W & Jay T. Just get more
lycra, eh ?

Hey Dell,

I guess you control what you can control, and the rest makes a story
for the beer drinking. Sorry you hurled 4 times before the
highpoint...or felt like it. So what did you wax with?

I got spun around by Ken Statz stepping on my ski near the start and
went to my knees. Then just a few hundred feet further, another guy
slid his ski over mine and spun me around the other direction. I've
never had this problem in previous years. About 1/3 km later, I had a
broken pole, I guess because of the early rugby. I picked up a noodle
replacement pole at the start of the Powerlines and kept looking for a
better pole all the way to "OO." I finally got one of my poles from my
wife at 38 km. Today my hand is still giving me problems and after the
race, my forearm was sore. It really makes you realize how good the new
equipment is.

I chased until about 20 km, and then I rested in the Nelson group until
"OO". After "OO", I took up the chase again and actually just about
made it to a big group, but I wasn't able to hang with them as guys
started coming off the back. So as the comet was burning up front, I
kept skiing through the debris.

At Mosquito Brook, I stoppped and put on a new pole, grabbed a bottle
(and drank), and headed off for the beating on Bitch Hill. About that
time the women leaders came through, and actually, Bitch Hill is not
too bad when you're climbing it alone. I got caught by Jey Carlson and
he led over the 77 hill. Across the lake I did most of the work since
Jey said he was tired. In the sugar, the Nelson train caught me from
behind, and I could hardly keep my balance in that sugar snow. I should
have tried dp'ing. Anyway, three guys went by and I didn't have the
legs to get em back on the harder snow.

I used LF6 with FC1 and the skis were a little slow or ok on the
climbs, but they really lit up on the downhills. One guy even asked
what I had on. I think the call was LF4 or LF4 with the CF1. I actually
had a pair with that on it, but it felt about the same as the LF6 with
FC1.

Jay Wenner