Old July 1st 04, 05:32 PM
Andrew Bolger

Default artificial XC ski trails

On 1/7/04 9:36 am, "taywood" wrote:

Andrew Bolger wrote:
On 28/6/04 10:03 pm, "taywood" wrote:

Yep, try Huntly Nordic.
www.huntly.net/nordicski
The old stuff got badly worn,with lots of schoolkids in the area
having tuition, the new product is well tried and tested.
Not seen it yet myself tho.
Mike

There was one in your area.
Martin Appleby or Helen Bell in the Yorkshire Dales club would be
able to give you details. It was a flimsy plasticised surface, difficult to
describe in words, which came in a roll of say 100 yards long, was
pinned to the ground and several rolls could be joined together to form
a loop. It was specific stride and glide and had two pressedin grooves.
One chap had the ownership and he took them to venues for tuition and
even for short races. The main problem was that it needed to be laid on
a sawdust or similar base which could smooth out holes etc.
Ok for sports fields but useless on farm land.
I believe it ended its life at an outdoor pursuits centre at Pateley Bridge.

There were plans for the next generations of matting, made in Holland if
I remember correct, to be laid at the planned Centre of Ski Excellence
which never materialised. That was to include skate matting too, likely
venue was Sheffield Ski.
I've lost contact with these guys but Helen could tell you what the current
ESC Nordic plans are. http://www.escnordic.org.uk/Dales/Index.html
Mike

That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought that a few lumps and bumps would

have mattered but evidently they did. I should say at this point that my
question is based on idle curiosity; I've neither the means nor the energy to
try to set one up. A xc ski cross loop at our local outdoor pursuits centre
would be fun though. My neighbour works there perhaps I'll try and persuade
him....