Old December 10th 03, 12:30 PM
Marsh Jones

Default Divx codec (Was Rats...errors with Janne's video files...help?)

Jeff Potter wrote:
I downloaded the last video in a series from a couple weeks ago and I
did the same tonight for the Toblach grand finale with Kris and Carl.
And both times at the halfway point of the last video, as I'm playing
it with Real One I get a darn error message and everything stops and I
miss out!

Subsequent attempts to download the clip afresh somehow only restart
my existing clip promptly even though I try to throw away the old clip
(I look for everything with the same name on the machine and trash it
but it still seems to come back to life WAY too quick--it's like it's
not really trashed).

Anyway the error message is: "Unknown format: bad data in avi source
file."

Anyone know what it means or how to fix it? Maybe the glitch relates
to the fact that I start playing the clip before it gets done
downloading. ?? These are great clips but RATS! Thanks for any miracle
cure, JP

I know Janne's taken us thru this before, but in case you still missed it:

It doesn't matter too much what media player you use. I actually use
winamp3, which does an OK job (and isn't Micro$oft). You'll need to
also get the Divx codec (www.divx.com or google on "divx codec" if you
want the slightly older free version). Once you install the codec,
restart your media player and it *should* work just fine.