Old January 3rd 06, 09:54 PM

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:57:07 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:

Most of my friends actually learned faster, as they didn't have the
disadvantage of being an advanced skier.

Just curious - what disadvatage is that?

Sounds like ******** to me - most skiers I know have picked up
boarding pretty quickly.

Equally, after 12 years on a board (tho only about 15 ~ 20 days a
season), I put on a pair of skis for the first time last week. Of
course, the current generation of skis (with a "carving" edge) are a
world away from those used years ago, but it was really easy to put
the basics together on a blue run. By the end of the day I was quite
comfortable doing controlled, linked, parallel turns.

So, in conclusion - I think being familiar with snow conditions, slope
characteristics, how an edge works, even how the damn lifts work is a
huge advantage when learning a new sliding device. All you have to
focus on is the bits on the ground.

--
Champ