Old December 23rd 03, 10:29 PM
Serge

Default Poles / No-poles Skating experiment

As a speedskater (inline) I can't help but add my two cents.

I made a switch to roller ski this winter because all the speedskaters
compete indoors in the off season and I do not do indoors and prefer
to XC-ski instead.

So I expected to find my legs working much better than arms...
It is not happening. Since position of the skier is much higher than
that of
the skater, I found myself not pushing strong enough with my legs.

Having skating background does not help much at all to my dismay. The
balance is different and the push is different too. Although I push
straight to the
side, the foot relative angle is different - the "V" is wider.

So, if your Rollerblades are purely recreational (I think they are -
no sane speedskater would call skates "Rollerblades") switch to roller
skis.
It is a better training (upper body too) and you can do hills you
wouldn't
dream doing on skates.

And question to Rob - When I do V2 my arms are still passing my hips
otherwise
my timing get screwed up. What is wrong?