Old March 17th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Static Balance Drills Worthwhile

The thing that bugs me is instructors who tell students that their
problem is lack of balance. It's bad teaching in every way possible.

rm

wrote:

w6sx@arrl net writes:

w6sx@arrl Balance, Schmalance.

w6sx@arrl I offer a contrary approach. In my experience, balance on skis is
w6sx@arrl much more a function of proper body position than native balance. If
w6sx@arrl you are in the right position, then balance is relatively easy. When
w6sx@arrl body position is not right, then all the balance drills in the world
w6sx@arrl are not much help. If you are going to do "balance" drills, work on
w6sx@arrl finding the right body position rather than "standing on one leg with
w6sx@arrl eyes closed."

I do not think your approach is contray, but complimentary. I do
most of my dryland balance exercises in ski positions. Knee forward,
arms moving as if poling... There is no doubt that these dryland
exercises have helped me on the snow. But without paying attention
to skiing form, they would not have helped much.

w6sx@arrl Ski Exuberantly,

w6sx@arrl Hank

w6sx@arrl Mammoth Lakes, California

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)