Old March 6th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Static Balance Drills Worthwhile

JonLPXC writes:

JonLPXC I'm teaching a group of intermediate skiers and a question that comes
JonLPXC up repeatedly is what balance drills can be done to help their
JonLPXC skiing. Many of the students have seen pictures in magazines of
JonLPXC people standing on one leg with their eyes closed and related "ski
JonLPXC specific" balance drills.

JonLPXC I've always that these types of drills are essentially worthless. The
JonLPXC thinking is that balance is very motion specific so there's little to
JonLPXC no carry over from learning to balance on 1 static leg, to learning to
JonLPXC balance on a moving platform, like a ski.

JonLPXC But, I'm curious about what the counter-arguments are. Anybody?

I have congenitally poor balance. The dryland balance exercises
in "The New Steady Ski" have helped my skiing quite a bit. Took
me from lousy to mediocre.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)