Old February 8th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Static Balance Drills Worthwhile

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:51:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm teaching a group of intermediate skiers and a question that comes
up repeatedly is what balance drills can be done to help their
skiing. Many of the students have seen pictures in magazines of
people standing on one leg with their eyes closed and related "ski
specific" balance drills.

I've always that these types of drills are essentially worthless. The
thinking is that balance is very motion specific so there's little to
no carry over from learning to balance on 1 static leg, to learning to
balance on a moving platform, like a ski.

But, I'm curious about what the counter-arguments are. Anybody?

Take a look the book _The Steady Ski_ by Garfield - I think if you
search online for Doug Garfield you might find excerpts online.

I found the excersizes in the book helpful. But I'm a beginner-
intermediate skier.