Old December 9th 14, 08:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Jon wrote:
Gene:

Thanks for the offer. The first slide on this section is at 27:!6 of
the video. Title of study is "Does Polarized Training Improve
Performance in Recreational Runners" Journal of Sport Physiology and
Performance, 2013 (Iker Munoz,Seiler, ....) (ePublished ahead of
print) VO2 Max was around 62--I have no idea if that's typical or
high (I assume "recreational athlete" in Norway may be at a bit of a
higher level than here in the States.)

Quite a big "bit" indeed. :-)

I'm 57 now, a few years ago I had a full max O2 test with EKG monitoring
(due to family heart problems): I ended up at 56, which the NIMI
(Norwegian Sports Medicine Institute) doctor told was at the low end of
their top bracket, i.e. "world class" for my age group. (I bet the top
50-100 racers in H55-60 in Birkebeineren would all be at my level or
higher.)

This was with a max heart rate of 185, which is pretty normal for my age
and activity level, right?

20 years earlier my max rate was 235-240 beats per minute, at that time
uphills never bothered me since I had an additional 15-20% reserve at
the top end, my main problem was bad running efficiency on the flats and
downhills so I always lost time there.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no