Old February 14th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Peter Clinch

Default Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

EdV wrote:
I went to practice telmark turns on the green runs at Afton
Alps(Hastings, MN) last Sunday and didn't feel like I had I was
getting enough edge to feel in control. It was around 10 F on fresh
groomed. Last year I felt fine on these runs but the snow was just a
little slushy at 28F.

The question:

Can getting "lower" help. As in bending knees deeper. It seemed like
it was when I tried it but it was hard to tell on such short runs.
Recall being told this but I didn't really understand how that could
help edge control.

Most important is getting weight over the edges, so make sure you don't
bank the turn. Your body should ideally be in a banana-shape, the trunk
turning back up the way to get the weight as close to directly over the
skis as you can manage. I think "angulation" is the buzz-word usually
applied to this.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK