Old February 15th 04, 06:23 PM
Mike Hui

Default Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

I am not a racer. The Keskinada is my annual ritual. As Parham told me
once, you need a few things in life to anchor yourself. Perhaps the
Keskinada is one of my anchors.

My preparation this year consisted of skiing a long way on my over-waxed
skis to determine the wax pocket, and scouting every corner of the trail in
the two weekends before Keskinada. As a result, I have shortened my wax
pocket by 2 to 3 inches! I was happy to find that I can stay in the tracks
practically everywhere except in two places where I need to run uphill,
herringbone style. Nowhere do I need to brake - I should be able to step
turn every corner.

It was perfect (blue extra) temperature. The start was delayed for 5
minutes. I had nothing to do so I scrubbed on another layer of blue extra.
I was a bit worried because the day before, the temperature had risen up to
0 deg. But the wax appeared to be right at the start area.

The siren went off and the mass of skiers went forward. Nothing unusual
happened. No broken skis. No broken poles. And the wax felt right.
Skiing up the short uphill chute was still O.K., even though I had to use
more arms than usual. Then it snowed suddenly and heavily - I couldn't
see more than 10m away. Oh, oh! A few weeks ago ice formed on my goggles
and I had to take them off even though I could hardly see without my
prescription goggles. As suddenly as the snow came, it disappeared.

The track took a left turn up into the woods, trail #5 behind Pink Lake.
This is where I have determined that I have just enough energy to first ski
up in the track, then continue to run up in herringbone when it got steeper,
and finally got back to the track near the top. Oh well. Forget about the
planning. There was a long queue at the bottom of the hill. When it came
to my turn, all I could do was to follow the train, slowly herringbone
uphill. Mind you. I wasn't complaining. My legs were already turning
soft.

I love trail #5 behind Pink Lake. It is relatively narrow, just managed to
accommodate two tracks. It is in the woods, sheltered from the wind. It's
undulating. You really feel good skiing this part of the trail. You have
to work hard at times but you feel you are really moving. However, this
time, I had to worked really, really hard to stay in the tracks, and even
had to herringbone when I thought I didn't have to.

Oh no. The guy in front of me snowploughed - and that wasn't the steep part
of the trail. I hate to snowplough. Other than wasting energy, it can take
the wax right off my skis. I finally braked when my ski tips were
practically under his body.

The steep part came just before Pink Lake. A few years ago I fell there and
caused a pile up. But I was prepared this time. I know that I can go all
out and step turn around the corner. No such luck. There was a long queue
again. I caught up with the skier in front snowploughing. This time I took
the risky move to ski by the side of the trail and passed him.

I was waiting with anxiety to see whether the wax was O.K. getting back on
the Parkway near Pink Lake. There were multiple previous occasions that I
got no grip at all coming down from the shielded #5 onto the sunny Parkway.
Well. The wax wasn't perfect this time but was still O.K. Lucky me.

I was more of a spectator than a skier for about 10 minutes. You see. This
is where I, a wave D participant, can see the leaders coming back. I was
trying to catch a glimpse of Becky Scott. No such luck!

The black diamond part of #15 is the steepest part of the course. This time
I had no excuse. The traffic was light by then and I could go as fast as I
want. Alas, all I could do was herringbone slowly up.

Finally, my scouting of the trail paid off. Trail #7 From McKenzie Estate
back to the Parkway was undulating but mostly downhill. If you don't brake
at all and carry your momentum, it is a real pleasure skiing there. I
caught two skiers snowploughing. Both times I shouted "by your left" and
managed to ski by without falling.

Skiing down from Pink Lake on the Parkway, I usually crouched down quietly
in the tracks, and let momentum carry me as far as possible, because there
are typically no other skiers closed by. Well, this time was different. I
had to step left off the track, only to find that it was much slower.
Luckily there was just enough momentum to pass the skier. And I caught up
with yet another skier continuing downhill. This time, avoiding the slow
part to the left of the left tracks, I took the risky move trying to step
into the right tracks. Lucky me, this is the first time I tried changing
tracks going down Pink Lake and I managed to do so without falling.

I always found doing classic on the Parkway tough, very tough. You can see
a long, long way and it feels as if you're not moving at all. I was playing
with my heart-monitor toy earlier in the season and found that I could be
pushing harder on the flat part of the Parkway. I guess the toughness is
more mental than physical.

Back on to #5 near Asticou. I know this part of the trail better than my
own backyard because Asticou is my usual starting point for skiing. There
is this 25m incline right near the parking lot. I usual just ski up without
thinking. Oh well. What a difference! I had to step off the tracks to go
up this time.

There is a longer and steeper hill about a km from the short incline. I had
determined previously that I could stay on the track all the way. No such
luck! I stepped off and hopped up, albeit very slowly. Well, I shouldn't
complain. The skier who passed me on a beautiful diagonal stride earlier
was back slipping badly, and I passed him, may be her, back.

It was flat and then a slight downhill towards the finishing line. I was
plotting to sneak up on the skier in front, double-pole hard, and let the
moment carry me downhill to the finish line. I was embarrassed when she
encouraged me to "Go for it!" when I passed her.

I finished. A PB. Um. May be I don't know what the right wax feels like.
I had my best time 2 years ago and then this year. Both years I felt like
my wax was too slippery and and not enough kick. May be the experts who
participated in the Keskinada classic can tell me their waxing experience.

It was a great day overall. I even caught a glimpse of Becky Scott
finishing her 5k classic.

.... Mike