Old December 15th 03, 08:27 PM
Jeff Potter

Default what was 'the New Skate' ?

Ken Roberts wrote:

[ ] and I see former
opponent Borowski joining forces with Vordenberg in new magazine articles.

It looks like Lee created a truce by saying that aspects of the old
'ride'n'glide' work better for weaker citizen skiers and that we mortals can't
use all the benefits of the elite new skate. In other words, Lee says he agrees
with Pete but only for elite skiers and that weaker skiers will bail out more
often into the old ride'n'glide. ??

[ ] I kept hoping the ideas
will get published in a book that everyone can read and discuss, but I still
haven't see it yet.

Is there a hot book out there? I have the oddly-shaped Ski Skating that seems
pretty good. Is it Old or New Skate? : )

[ ]
_____________________________________
The New Skate
-- ideas from Vordenberg's 2000-2001 articles

(A) Legs -- use both of them equally

Set them down in a 'ready to power' position, not too far under body.

Feet seem to have a smooth, continuous, 'swimming' style. Dynamic--no harsh
shove but also less rest-spots.

Heel-Power! Kick the powering foot down and FORWARD to keep heel down as long
as possible when powering. --As per speedskating.

(C) Quiet Upper Body

Hands/arms work more in a 'flicky' way---less huge commitment and total
followthru. Max the sweetspot and bail on the rest.

[ ]
(2) No dipping or twisting or rotating -- never ever.

I recall Lee saying that weaker skiers will twist as well as glide more. Also
that personal style brings aspects of Old Skate into play even with WC skiers.

--

Jeff Potter
****