Old November 8th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Default Using Salomon Pilot 2 Classic Boots With Older Profil Classic Binding.

wrote:
Are you sure this isn't about selling product vs the technical? Almost
any manufacturer will tell you that their product won't be optimal
without the latest and greatest (of only their brand). Wait for a demo
day in your area.

Although I am a Salomon user (they happen to fit me best, now I'm in
the system, invested in bindings so I'm reluctant to change),it really
bothers me that they seem the most intent on making frequent changes,
mostly if not all for the sake of marketing and perceived (not actual)
obsolescence. they claim product improvement, but my opinion is that
it's marketing and badging. In other words, a certain percentage of
salomon boot owners will change their boots every 3 years or so just
because the new stuff looks different, not because their old stuff is
worn out or that the new stuff is actually better. It may or may not
be better, but I am certain the absolute best case is that the
improvement is marginal or imperceptable. The worst case is that
different is not better.

Alpina, Rosssy and others seem much less intent in making super obvious
visual changes in their boot graphics. A three year old Alpina is not
different than a new one at a quick glance. Therefore, I think there
are much fewer owners of those lines that will change just to keep up
with appearances. They'll change when their stuff is worn out or they
really think the new boot fits better or performs better.

And the NNN binding does not change at all - and continues to be as
functional and efficient as what is now the third generation of Salomon
that is not backward compatable. (my opinion is that NNNIII is not in
that planned obsolescence category because it is TOTALLY compatable
with NNNII. boots)

All of these manufacturers are guilty of changing just to keep product
moving, no big deal. But Salomon I think is just so outrageous in that
regard.