Old May 23rd 05, 01:32 AM
rumpius

lal_truckee wrote:

[snip]

Every above ground lift I have ever seen has some type of metal bar
that you lower in front of your waist after getting on, and rasie just
before getting off.

Not around here. "Safety" bars are common on high speed detachable lifts
but there are plenty of older lifts left around, often on the more
desirable terrain for kids. Safety bars seem more common in the east and
Colorado tourist towns than farther west - I don't know about the SW.
Even when we do have bars lots of folks decline to lower them.

When there is a small child (although 3 is
definitely too young for this, and probably 5 would be) the lift
attendant makes certain they are riding up with someone older enought
to handle the bar. The kiddie ski classes/day care tend to work around
using the lift.

[snip]

lal is right about a significant number of lifts in CO, i.e. they are
without safety bars. The bars are reassuring but don't really hold one
on the chair.

BTW, when sharing a chair, it is common etiquette to inquire whether the
other person minds having the bar down or, at least to mention that one
is putting the bar down, before yanking it onto the other person's head
or leg.