Old October 12th 05, 07:03 PM
Ken Roberts

Yes but in the special case of group rescues from avalanches in the
backcountry, the amount of this additional survival probability may be a
delusion.

Kurt Knisely wrote
If you F-up w/ a group, you may have some chance of survival.

Very carefully phrased.

One book on my shelf says that the ratio of number of people who've died in
an avalanche to the number of people successfully rescued from a complete
burial is about 10 to 1.

I'm sure there's more favorable ways to look at the statistics, but it's not
unreasonable to claim that out in the backcountry, even when touring with a
group, if you get caught in a serious avalanche, you're probably going to
die.

So it's not like, "If I'm alone and get caught, I'll die unless I'm lucky,
but if I'm with a group when I get caught, I'll live unless I'm unlucky."

Ken