Old January 19th 05, 06:31 PM
Rob White

There's no way to predict if or how skis will be stolen, the only way to
stop it is to lock them up if you leave them. A friend of mine was in
Courchevel a few years ago at a pit-stop by a piste, when a skier came past
and simply swiped a pair of skis stood up in the snow, without even
stopping. My son and a mate had three pairs nicked from their apartment
balcony in Val d-Isere 13 months ago - it seems the thief climbed up the
drain pipe to reach them!

Rob
"DMG" wrote in message
Just come back from Les Gets where my skis and poles were stolen from
outside a restaurant near the top of a mountain while I was having lunch.

waited around for 2 hrs to see if they had been taken by accident but they
didn't re-appear. (My poles were fairly unique carbon composite ones so

not
easy to take by mistake.) Two points:

How do they do it? I mean, how did the thief get up there (crappy old

skis
maybe) and why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to steal them lower down or

in
the resort?

The lift operators wouldn't let me hitch a lift down; I had to walk and

that
was a real pain. Took me 4 hrs in total to get back.

Anyway, now I have to buy those new skis I was thinking about!