Old July 15th 03, 02:51 PM
Ace

Default Pre-Christmas in Switzerland

On 15 Jul 2003 07:23:00 -0700, (Frances Hinden)
wrote:

For family reasons I have an opportunity to get four days skiing
before Christmas (20-23) anywhere within easy reach by train of both a
big airport (Geneva/Zurich/Basel) AND Basel city.

Train timetables seem to suggest in order of distance Engelberg,
Wengen, Crans Montana or St Anton.

I'd probably not include Crans (4+ hours away) and certainly not St.
Anton (a whole country away - it's in Austria). I would add Andermatt,
Grindelwald (OK it's connected to Wengen), possibly Adelboden.

If you _are_ prepared to be 4+ hours away, then you should definitely
consider Saas Fee and Zermatt, both of which are very high and stand a
much better chance of getting decent snow.

Where are we most likely to have
decent snow that early and be able to find a hotel that doesn't insist
on a Christmas booking?

Swiss hotels are much less rigid than French about Saturday-Saturday
bookings, so if you book reasonably in advance I wouldn't expect you'd
have too much of a problem.

Or is there anywhere possible on a daily commute from Basel that will
have snow?

We regularly ski single days, from Basel, at most of the stations in
my first paragraph, but it can make for a tiring day if you've got
work in the morning :-}

I think if I was in your situation, without a car, I'd probably choose
to stay in Zermatt or Saas Fee - both high and snowsure, with
excellent skiing(although SF's not quite as chalenging as Zermatt),
both pretty, lively towns and both fairly well connected by rail.

--
Ace in Alsace - bruce dot rogers at roche dot com
Ski Club of Great Britain