Old January 23rd 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

Default Does Combi skiing work very well?

Jeff, back in the stone ages before I actually had skate skis and we
both posted on r.b.r as active riders, I occasionally would try to do
both by just putting kick wax on the outside flat of my 'classic' skis
(no diff anyhow). I wouldn't say it worked great, but it would suffice
for hacking around the golf course.
Striding yesterday, I was demoing skate for a couple of friends on my
classic skis. If your wax isn't too thick, it works OK. Not as good as
a skate ski, but a whole lot better glide than a skate ski w/kickwax.
Besides, do you really want to scuff up the base on a skate ski enough
to hold wax?

Marsh

wrote:
My bro often puts kickwax on his skate skis so he can both skate and
kick on our often narrow homestyle trails around here. His method seems
to work fairly OK. But he often flounders on uphills. Still, he can get
in some kick-DP when it gets too narrow to skate.

I'm wondering if actual Combi skis would work better. Or maybe classic
skis with just a little kick wax work better as skate skis than skaters
work as classic (no wax pocket?).

Any tricks? Reports?

Thanks, JP