Old January 23rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

Default Does Combi skiing work very well?

My thinking is that a classic ski skates better than a skate ski works for
classic.
I doubt that there are any good combi skis these days. At least I haven't
heard of any.
Years ago I and many other skiers used a Peltonen Combi ski that was gray
and blue. I did a bunch of marathons with them and thought that they were
good even if the base wasn't the most porous. I think that these were
popular with Ski-O folks too.

I look forward to following this thread as I'd be interested in a good combi
ski.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where we've had two days of snow totaling .25 inches.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My bro often puts kickwax on his skate skis so he can both skate and
kick on our often narrow homestyle trails around here. His method seems
to work fairly OK. But he often flounders on uphills. Still, he can get
in some kick-DP when it gets too narrow to skate.

I'm wondering if actual Combi skis would work better. Or maybe classic
skis with just a little kick wax work better as skate skis than skaters
work as classic (no wax pocket?).

Any tricks? Reports?

Thanks, JP