Old May 23rd 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Default The season is... far from over

Roger Moss wrote:
For the snow-deprived among us:

"Skiinfo reports that the Stubai Glacier had 10cm (four inches) of
fresh powder on Tuesday (May 20th). Snow depths are 250cm (over eight
feet) with more snow expected over the next few days. It is currently
has 44km (nearly 30 miles) of runs to choose from.

It is one of five Austrian ski areas still open - more than any other
country. Above Kaprun the Kitzsteinhorn glacier with its famous
terrain park is open with 290cm (Just under ten feet) of snow built
up and fresh snow forecast by Skiinfo's Snowfinder service over the
next few days. It has 11 lifts serving 25km of trails open.

The Dachstein glacier near Ransau has six metres (20 feet) of snow
accumulated and currently has three lifts running, serving two
kilometres of piste.

The Kaunertal glacier has 237cm (eight feet) of snow on its slopes,
with five lifts serving 20km of runs.

The final Austrian area is the Tux glacier close to Mayrhofen and a
short transfer from Innsbruck. The glacier area has marginally the
most terrain open in Austria, just ahead of Stubai, with 48km (30
miles) of runs and 335cm (over 11 feet) of snow base.

As I leave for Tux tonight, I'm glad to hear that

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk