Old January 27th 04, 05:40 PM
lal_truckee

Default Web sites (was The CUT)

Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

"Richard Henry" writes:

I once complained about the new website of an amateur sports organization on
which I depend for information on an almost-daily basis. The new look
started with a long animated entry screen extolling the organization's
virtues that took 20 minutes to load on a cable modem (and my old 486
machine). I got a nice email from the association president and the flashy
intro was gone the next day.

I guess you are lucky. Most web admins nowadays will answer you that they
have designed their site for IE 7.4.22 or higher on Mozilla 8.9.44 and if
you don't run one of these, tough luck.

The worst example is my UK HSBC bank which only works with IE forcing me
to find a Windows machine to access that site (no IE for
Solaris/Linux/AIX/...). No wonder I use telephone banking with them more
often then Internet. And when I complain, they don't even understand the
problem! Ugh.

Just spoof an IE identification in Mozilla. Most of these sites just
look at the browser ID and kick you out; Mozilla can often handle
everything fine, once you get past the gatekeeper.

Anyway, to come back to skiing, my local hill http://www.bluemountain.ca/
had a great snow condition site where you can see open and closed runs and
lifts but have now closed it ("no longer able to handle the amount of
traffic", according to the web site). Come on people, Blue Mountain belongs
to Intrawest, they can afford faster machines and/or wider pipe!

Bye, Dragan