Old February 4th 09, 10:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

Default Grenoble to Serre Chevalier

On Feb 3, 5:51*pm, "Snorer" wrote:
Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest *point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do you
think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little chance to
raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be appreciated. *Thanks

The Col du Lautaret can indeed be closed from time to time although I
would not say it is a regular occurence. When it is closed it will be
indicated on the road from Grenoble - around Vizile is the first live
road sign if my memory is right. There are further live road signs
along the way so it is easy to change route. Gap is indeed the best
option - our local taxi company systematically use that alternative if
required - allow an extra 45 mins on your journey.
The col du Lautaret is an important access route and if it has to
close the local authorities make it a top priority to re-open it
quickly.

On the day you can check on http://www.cg05.fr/527-etat-des-cols...d-altitude.htm
(Ouvert means open just in case) or
http://www.isere.equipement.gouv.fr/...c/routes38.htm or
http://www.inforoute05.fr/cg05en.html

Equally the Col de Montgenevre could be closed too although very rare.

Chains are always advised - when there is snow on any mountain road
the police will often be parked at the bottom and will prevent any car
who haven't got any from continuing their journey (quite right I will
add - it is most frustrating when idiots who have ignored road signs
and common sense proceeding with no chains and no experience are stuck
half way through a resort road blocking the way for all other traffic)
- in those cases it is actually a legal requirement to have them (snow
tyres allowed). If you don't have chains you may also find it
difficult to get our of your parking space at the end of your stay if
it has snowed. The roads in resorts are always cleared pretty quickly
but sometimes private areas are more difficult to do.

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk