Old September 16th 04, 02:00 PM
jim farrell

I did notice that the elevation differed by about 75-80ft paddling
across a lake:-) Probably not going to rely on it to map the birkie...

Marsh
New Brighton, MN

great test on a lake! no wondering if you 'think it is level.' i've
always been suspicious of the altitude feature of my garmont/timex unit.
people who really care about elevation use an altimeter. some units
come with a 'barometric' altimeter built in. however, on one circuit
hike of afton state park, a unit with an altimeter placed the parking
lot at some 50(?) feet higher than when we had started. we wondered if
the approaching storm was enough to lower the pressure that much . . .

jim