Old February 5th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default What's the best training for weekend warriers?

No racing aspirations here. Simply trying to build up endurance and,
with luck, speed. Like most folks, I'm largely limited to weekends for
training. This past year, I've sometimes managed to fit in about 4
miles of rollerskiing in the evenings, but it gets fairly dark and,
even with a headlight, I don't go very fast, which ends up being
mostly a balance exercise. I thow in some single-sticking for poling
strenght though.

Now about the weekends: I used to do an hour in the morning, an hour
in the afternoon of even-paced, flat-terrain (that's what we got here
in central NJ unless you drive some place for hills). This was clearly
inadequate when snow time came and I found myself spending the better
part of the day on skis in fairly hilly terrain. This past year, I
doubled the morning mileage from about 7k to 14k, with an odd
afternoon of 20k and really felt the difference on snow Christmas week
(not here in NJ - in Quebec). My climbing still stinks though. When I
do drive about 30 min to a hill, I find that it also helps somewhat.
So, all this is good stuff, the problem is that I only have a weekend
to cram it in, and it ain't pretty. For example, yesterday (Saturday)
I did my morning 14k and then the hill. This morning, I didn't feel
gung-ho at all (after that hill) and only did half of my usual morning
routine. So I guess my question is what and how much should I do on
weekends without killing myself but still making some progress? I'm
sure many others have the same constraints to work around.

Thanks!