Old September 4th 03, 08:03 PM
Serge

Default Inliner speed vs. Roller ski speed

I am, probably, the only speed skater on this board that doubles as
half-ass skier in winter time (here in California we have 3 months of
snow - in the mountains).

Yes, skates are fast. We do marathons in slightly over one hour and
50k in less than hour and a half. Some pro's can drop a good cyclist
on short distance.
Downhills can push mph. 100k's and 82mi races are drawing big crowds.

The are 2 reasons that skates are so much faster:

1. 5x84mm wheel or 4x100mm wheels are much faster than 2x100mm (let
alone those
Ski Skett's on 60mm barrel wheels).

2. Low aerodynamic position, drafting (you guess it right -no poles).

Roller skis were developed as a substitute for snow skiing, not a fast
transportation.

Skates, that most people use instead of roller skis (hard shell high
boot)
have no more in common with speed skates than balloon beach cruisers
with
high - end racing bikes or wooden skis/loop binding with skis that we
use.

That is exactly the reason I am getting roller skis although I can use
all the skates I have.
There is no substitute.

By the way, one of the most advanced skating companies, Millennium
skates, is
working on their model roller ski and they already made a 100mm wheel
too. Nothing inflatable or suspension rigged.
Just plain, light, reliable, US made roller ski from the best people
in
skating business.