Old October 6th 03, 09:38 PM
BoftheW

Default Skiing in North America over Christmas - Do not want to go to

I think you misunderstood that post. IIRC, those figures were
estimates of minimum and optimal base for the skiing to be worthwhile
(i.e. deep enough that one could ski blue runs without suffering
multiple core-shots); thus, 40" would be adequate in the Wasatch, but
not in Colorado. I'm not sure I follow the logic (I woulda thought
Utah would need more depth than Cali, f'rinstance), but anyhow, I
don't think those figs were supposed to be comparative snowfall or
snowpack or whatever....

bw

If that is what was meant, then it still does not make any sense. CO has the
most flat, grass covered terrain in the West. That should require the least
amount of snow. The other places mentioned are far more rocky and require more
snow than CO. Take one look at Alta or Squaw in the summer and you will know
what I mean. Some of those boulders in the runs are covered with P-Tex and metal
scrapes. So he is still WAY off now matter how you read his post.

Now with regards to our fluff in the Wasatch, we still seem to get more than
enough to keep us happy from Thanksgiving on.

BackoftheWasatch