Old June 23rd 05, 05:40 AM
Slaughterhouse

"stuart" wrote in message
newsrjue.79323$9A2.35020@edtnps89...

Its my favorite ski hill. They have very dry powder when it gets snow.
Last year was very good. I would definitely check conditions beforehand,
because Jasper is in the lee side of the mountains and can have low
snowfall winters. They are also not terribly honest about reporting snow
conditions on their website. For example, "Good conditions, packed powder,
some natural hazards exist" means 'skiable snow between zillions of
rocks'. In other words, don't bother. I would not spend money to go there
unless they have AT LEAST 120 cm base and are reporting fantastic
conditions. That means the skiing can range from reasonably good to
exceptional. The problem they have is that Jasper has no radar coverage
with Environment Canada, so they can get a fabulous dump of powder
overnight, and there is really no way of knowing what's on the hill until
8am that day, or when you get there.
You will love the terrain...the night life in Jasper is 'OK' but not too
many choices...

This is really good info! I went to Banff last season and it was great but
after what I heard Jasper was getting there was just no other option for
next season. We are heading up at the beginning of March on the basis of
what the rest of Alberta is doing for snow and also that by the beginning of
March there should have been enough snowfall already to make a somewhat
decent base. Sound about right to you or is Jasper an anomoly? Thanks Stuart
for you time with this!